POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten : Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten
From: Manuel Kasten
Date: 15 Mar 2004 01:42:29
Message: <40555055@news.povray.org>
> The code for this image is by Manuel Kasten, who posted it in
> povray.general. The scene contains 2.000.000 little white spheres. He
> couldn't render it himself though, because of heavy swapping.

The code is based on Paul Bourkes scc3 entry.

> Now, I don't have enough memory either, but what I did was to reduce the
> memory usage by rendering the image over 20 passes each with 100.000
> spheres, each time using the previous frame as a background image_map
> for the current frame. The result looks nice. It's attached. Well, I
> blurred it in Paint Shop Pro before posting in order to reduce
> graininess and jpeg-artifacts. The original really isn't blurred at all
> despite the multiple times applied antialiasing that is a side effect
> from the multiple pass technique I used.

Thank you! That's a great idea. Because I couldn't get around that problem
for myself, but wanted to play with attractors more, I wrote a Java program
(so the following picture is _NOT POVRAY CREATED_). It consits of merely
50 mio. points and was created in less than 2 minutes with a memory usage of
approx. 4 MB.

again: this is not povray generated, but related to the topic...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'attractor.jpg' (88 KB)

Preview of image 'attractor.jpg'